主题: [PILN] PILI Seeks Deputy Country Director, Beijing, China
Public Interest Law Institute (PILI)
Deputy Country Director
PILI is an international organization that advances human rights around the
world by stimulating public interest advocacy and developing the
institutions necessary to sustain it. PILI pursues this mission by building
capacity of civil society organizations and leaders, by providing technical
assistance on reforming legal aid systems and legal education, and by
promoting pro bono legal practice globally. It was founded in 1997 at
Columbia University and became an independent organization in 2007. PILI has
offices in Beijing, Belgrade, Budapest, Moscow and New York.
PILI has three major objectives in China: 1) to establish a domestic
fellowship program whereby committed law school graduates and lawyers will
be identified and placed in public interest organizations; 2) to help expand
the scope and effectiveness of public interest law networks advancing the
rights of women, migrants and other vulnerable populations in China; and 3)
to promote the provision of pro bono legal services to public interest
organizations by developing a clearinghouse to match them with law firms.
For more information, please visit our website at www.pili.org.
The Deputy Country Director will play a key role in helping the Country
Director to oversee all programs and to work effectively with Chinese
lawyers, public interest organizations, law firms, universities, and
government offices. Leading candidates will be lawyers with demonstrated
expertise and interest in legal reform and public interest law in China, as
well as strong project management skills. The position offers a competitive
salary and benefits package.
Strategy Development & Program Management
* Contribute significantly to strategy, program development, and fundraising
for PILI's work in China.
* Assist in managing implementation of PILI projects in China, including:
* Recruiting students and lawyers to apply for fellowships under PILI's
Public Interest Fellowship Program, identifying suitable organizations in
which to place successful fellowship candidates, and providing guidance and
mentorship to fellows during their fellowships.
* Managing pro bono clearinghouse and building law firm constituency.
* Working closely with NGO partners on planning and organizing workshops on
public interest litigation and advocacy.
* Monitoring partners' progress on preparing publications.
* Providing technical assistance to partner organizations, particularly
Management & Administration
* Assist Country Director in overseeing financial management of office, and
in preparing regular financial reports and reports to donors.
* Assist Country Director in representing PILI to international and local
NGOs, other partners, and government officials.
* A law degree.
* At least 5 years relevant work experience.
* Significant project management experience.
* Demonstrated expertise and interest in legal reform and public interest
law in China.
* Superlative communication skills, including fluency in English and
Mandarin, both written and spoken.
* Willingness to travel regularly within China, as well as make regular
visits to other PILI offices.
To apply: Please email a resume, cover letter and two brief writing samples
(one in English, one in Chinese) to email@example.com.
Deadline: June 1, 2009
Start date: July 2009
Only those offered interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please.